We attract ambitious engineers who are in the top of their field. Our engineers are passionate about their professions and do not view work as just “jobs”. We work hard, enjoy life, and try to minimize politics in the workplace. In all we do, we inspire enthusiasm, encourage commitment, and enjoy the moment. Click here to find out more about why you should join the Red Canyon team!
To apply for a position with Red Canyon, follow the instructions under that job posting.
*filled* Software Applications Architect & Developer
6mo with likely extensions through 9/2016
The Residential Buildings Group has an opening for a full-time mid-senior level Control Software Application Architect and Developer. This position is responsible for framework development (which may include creation of software requirement specifications and/or Development Toolkit) of distributed software applications for building and equipment control. This framework will allow service providers, operators, and utilities to build applications in a structured manner to leverage building technologies, components, devices, appliances, and equipment to satisfy use cases. The candidate will then collaborate with NREL staff to develop sample applications relying on this framework, which enable appliances to communicate and share information in order to provide services to building operations, energy markets and the grid.
• Working with software developers and domain experts, develop a software framework for distributed applications that will allow appliances to provide services to building operations, energy markets and the grid.
• Produce technical documentation describing the framework and implementations thereof.
• Develop standardized tests and/or procedures for validation of applications within the framework.
• Develop one or more sample applications based on the framework to test specific use cases and support its implementation in a laboratory setting with real appliances.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills (oral and written)
• Established time management abilities
• Proven ability to work to deadlines
• Experience in the design of technical architecture for distributed systems & specification documentation
• Experience working with non-developers (i.e., technology subject matter experts) to architect and develop a customer solution
• Proven ability to provide technical leadership in the implementation of multi-component integrated solutions
• Hands-on ability to construct, configure, deploy, and manage cloud and virtualization components, integration of components into comprehensive capabilities, and best practices for design and implementation.
• Knowledge of IT security risks at all levels, including cloud environments, operating systems, database systems, middleware, web etc
• Extensive programming experience in one or more programming languages: Python, C/C++, Java, Ruby, etc.
• Familiarity with Python is required
• Experience interfacing software with third-party APIs, including but not limited to cloud services
• Experience interfacing software with databases/data stores (i.e. SQL and/or Mongo)
• Experience with Linux operating systems
• 3-5 year relevant experience
• Bachelor Degree in Computer Science
• Excellent technical and communicative skills
• Self-motivated, detail oriented, goal driven
• Experience with 0MQ (ZeroMQ) or other publish/subscribe messaging frameworks is strongly preferred.
• Experience with OpenADR, SEP2.0, Transactive Energy and other smart grid protocols is strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated basic knowledge of energy generation, utilization, and transport networks is strongly preferred.
• Experience in smartphone or tablet app development is strongly preferred.
• Experience with VOLTTRON open source software and/or sMAP is preferred.
• Experience in smart grid systems, machine learning, behavioral analytics, and/or building science is a plus.
• Familiarity with low-power wireless/wired communication (PLC, ZigBee SEP/HAP, 802.11x, Z-Wave or similar), mesh networking, COTS electronics, and/or hands-on systems automation is a plus.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com